Almost Maine Audition Information
The Georgetown Palace will hold auditions for our production of Almost Maine
Director: Emily Taylor
The production will open Friday, March 26th and close April 25th.
Performances could potentially be staged outdoors in the Palace Courtyard.
About the Play: Welcome to Almost, Maine, a place that’s so far north, it’s almost not in the United States. It’s almost in Canada. And it’s not quite a town, because its residents never got around to getting organized. So it almost doesn’t exist. One cold, clear, winter night, as the northern lights hover in the star-filled sky above, the residents of Almost, Maine, find themselves falling in and out of love in unexpected and hilarious ways. Knees are bruised. Hearts are broken. But the bruises heal, and the hearts mend—almost—in this delightful midwinter night’s dream.
Looking for: 3 men, 3 women (18-50) to play various roles in the vignettes. This tale of love, heartbreak, and humor told through the following list of characters is not limited to a specific race or ethnicity.
- Pete: A man unsure of how to express his feelings, but who has grand romantic notions
- Steve: A man learning how to live with a syndrome that prevents him from feeling pain, at least, that’s what his brother says.
- Phil: A man trying to find the love in a marriage gone stale
- East: A man struck by love when he least expects it
- Lendall: A quiet man trying to learn how to express his love
- Randy: A country guy struggling with dating
- Danny: A man waiting for an answer to a question from years gone by
- Jimmy: A man missing his ex and hoping to rekindle their romance
- Chad: A country guy struggling with dating
- Dave: A man whose fallen in love with his long-time friend
- Ginette: A woman trying to pull the man she loves down to reality
- Sandrine: A woman out with her friends trying to enjoy her bachelorette party
- Marci: A woman trying to find the love in a marriage gone stale
- Glory: A woman looking to find some peace from past pains
- Marvalyn: A woman whose life didn’t go as she planned
- Shelly: A woman struggling with dating life
- Hope: A woman trying to give an answer too late, but hoping that it isn’t
- Villian: A woman new to town. A waitress just trying to do her job.
- Gayle: A woman frustrated with her long term relationship
- Deena: A woman struggling with dating life
- Rhonda: A “Tomboy” who is uncertain about romance
Initial auditions will be video submissions and callbacks will be in person/socially distanced on 2/1 from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Callbacks will be held at the Palace Playhouse 216 W 8th Street Georgetown TX 78626.
The first round of auditions will be video submissions. Please send a video of a prepared comedic piece. This can be a monologue from a stage play, movie, TV show, personal anecdote, or novel. Please have it prepared (not a cold read), but it does not need to be memorized. If submitting a video is not possible for you due to lack of equipment, please let us know so that accommodations can be made. Video submissions are due by 1/29 by 7:00 pm, please email attachment or link and a headshot to email@example.com.
Callbacks will be by invitation only and held in person on 2/1/2021. Callbacks will be in groups of no more than 6 at a time. Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script, please be prepared for some physical work and silence onstage to be a part of this callback. Callback invitations will be sent via email. Masks will be mandatory.
Rehearsals will begin on 2/16 . Rehearsals are held M-Th (7pm- 10pm) and Sat (1pm- 5pm). A stable internet connection is needed for the virtual rehearsals (if this is a problem for you, please let us know so that we can make accommodations).
Performances are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting March 26 and ending on April 25.
Background checks: Everyone involved with the production must submit to a background check at the Palace’s expense. If you are cast, you will receive a secure link where you can fill it out. There is no cost to you.
The Georgetown Palace Theatre is a 501c3 non-profit organization. There is no compensation for any of the actors. All roles are open. The Georgetown Palace is committed to diversity and inclusiveness on our stage and in the stories we tell. We strongly encourage candidates of all ages, abilities, gender, and ethnicities to audition.
Be advised that for every rehearsal and performance, masks or face shields will be mandatory, temperature checks/health questions will be asked, we’ll also ask that isolation still be practiced and no cast outing or parties be allowed.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions/comments.